Wednesday, February 18, 2015

There Was a Time (Literacy Narrative)



John Droescher
English 11000
18 February 2015
There Was a Time
               There was a time. I’ve always wanted to start a paper with that phrase. Such a powerful phrase, “there was a time.” Reminding us that things were not always as they are and, just as importantly, things are not always as they were.
               Sorting through decades of accumulations, with the goal of downsizing to what I could fit in my SUV, I found myself standing in front of my suddenly full bookcase. Prior to this point it had been easy to tell friends, and myself, that the plan was simply to keep a handful of the more sentimental works and donate the rest. After all, few have been opened in many years. But, there was a time.
               Even with New York City’s abundance of historically beautiful public libraries, I haven’t found myself inside a non-academic library in nigh on two decades. Oh, but there was a time. I cannot remember my first book, but I do recall youthful summers spent at the library burning up my library card. Devouring classics and not-so-classics. Always reading. Constantly seeking greater knowledge and understanding of the world around me. Or spirited away on some grand adventure within the covers of whichever latest novel I found myself entangled within. Adventures and stories that I could only dream of one day experiencing for myself.
               Growing up the second child in a large family, I was often left to educate myself. From a young age I was aware that somehow I was not where I belonged. That there was a different life out there, waiting for me. Calling out to me, begging me to take my place in the sun. For nearly 20 years, however, I was unable to answer that calling. Remaining locked in a world I didn’t belong, chafing at the bit.
               Books have always been my escape. Escape seems the wrong word to use here, really. They were my refuge and they were my hope. A promise that there existed a world outside my own. A world where I belonged. Where I was the hero living the adventures, not the outcast sitting on the sidelines. And so I whiled away the hours and days and years. Losing myself in the stories, escaping my current situation into those of the protagonists and antagonists. Somehow always finding one more page to turn before falling asleep.          
               In the heady days of my youth I was unaware of the changes my love of books was effecting upon my ever-expanding world. But they paid no mind to my ignorance of this matter and continued to do as great, and not so great, works of literature are wont. Brick by brick, page by page, the way I spoke and wrote – or rather the manner in which I addressed and inscribed – developed. Years and books passed and the way I viewed the world changed. My outlook and the world’s reflection shifted, tinted, molded by all those novels and textbooks and novellas of yesteryear. I grew older and wiser, my naiveté giving way to insight into the inner workings of humanity and the world around and the wonders and joys of unadulterated science and history.
               Looking back now, of course, I see more clearly the winding path my proliferous reading habits cut on my literacy journey, providing motivation and developing abilities that have allowed me to make good my escape from the deadlands of the Midwest to downtown New York City. At the time, however, I was just a kid lost in another story. Another mystery for the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew to solve. Another challenge for Samwise and Frodo to overcome. Another deeper part of the universe for Arthur to discover existed.
               I stood there In front of my bookcase reading the titles of each of the books. Lost in times gone by, past desires and adventures and hopes and disappointments. The same thought kept running through my mind: “there was a time.” Historical documentaries and Calvin and Hobbes side by side. Beowulf and The Odyssey. Sherlock Holmes and The Count of Monte Cristo next to Papillion and the Shogun series. Douglas Adams’ works beside them. Books on mountaineering and scuba diving alongside my well-worn Boy Scouts handbooks. Texts on computer networking and race car dynamics. A history of my life in a bookcase.
               To paraphrase Hermuth Von Multke: No battle plan survives first contact. I suppose I’ll simply have to find a place in my new apartment for all these beloved books. After all, there was a time…

6 comments:

  1. The final draft is epic, man! Your passion for books is truly felt in the narration. This is how the ending of a good movie sounds like. This is a good piece of writing, beginning to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Eric, I find your writing very engaging. The opening really sucks the reader in and makes them want to follow you through the adventure of your narrative, and throughout you get the feeling of being a young kid lost in a world of books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing my narrative was difficult. Not from a technical point, but from a personal point. I appreciate the value of the assignment and its intended goals, the desire for students to really develop their sense of personal history. This topic, however new to many of my classmates, is a road well traveled by myself and one I do not generally discuss even with my closest friends. There is, unfortunately, no way to discuss my literacy origins and development without discussing very personal aspects of my life, and I find writing about such topics for public perusal to be very off-putting.

    Having already made this self-reflective journey before, many times, this assignment led to no new revelations regarding the origins of my literacy, nor of the sponsors who played their major and minor roles therein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd enjoyed reading your literacy,since the beginning it got me hooked.Amazing work you put in this literacy narrative, you make your reader join your literacy journey. Your passion for reading books reminds of me when I was a kid reading books helped me be a better reader and helped me with my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, thank you for this beautiful piece of writing.
    I really can see why you oppose the idea of posting this story. Reading this narrative is like touching a little part of your soul. The way books sculpted your worldview and became your world for quite some time is impressive and intriguing at the same time. Impressive not only because of those loads of books you've read, but because of the immense respect and infinite love you feel towards them. Intriguing because of the person they created: a fully matured personality with curiosity of a child and a wisdom of an elder.
    Great story, very thought through writing and a lot of interesting references. I'm glad I chose to read your narrative. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete