Saturday, February 21, 2015

Dayenu Simon                
              Difference of class can create conflicts between the populations in a country where there are two official languages. In Haiti we speak Creole and French. Creole is considered as the native language of the population and French the official of the education system.  When the children are born in the middle class, they have the obligation to spend more time speaking French than their first one. Because French accent help to determine which class a person is. The mass population which is the lower class do not speak French fluently or cannot speak it at all. They can barely read or write it .
Before starting school, my mother had created my education pathway. Creole was not allowed in the house and every week we have to read a book. I was only allowed to go to school and church. It was so boring. But my mother believed this was the best thing that she could do. The better your French grammar and accent are, you have a better opportunity to progress. In the other words, more opened door you have to the highest class. The point of view of my mother kept us away from the Social-cultural aspect of the country.
After moving to U.S.A  on July 2012.  I joined a Haitian’s organization helping new immigrant from Haiti. This was where I started learning about life in America. Even though this organization was in America, we respected all the Haitian national holidays and we celebrate them together. The first celebration I participated was the creole celebration day (every November 28th). The director of the organization wanted me to write down something in creole. Unfortunately I gave him a negative answer. I told him I could only write in French. As a poet, the only thing I could do was to say something but not to write down something because I didn’t know my creole grammar. I couldn’t even make any difference between what is only French and not creole.
Despite of that he asked me to do it. If it is not good he would correct it. I did my best to give a great poem. After reviewing my work he underlined several French words and grammar. Creole is English, also Spanish, African dialect, French and Haitian words. You have to know which words is allow from each of them. From this day I have learned a lot. I used to say maintenant that mean now. Now I know this word can’t be use in creole. The real creole is Kounya. I would not say anymore pincer or todre but I would say pichkannen. I would like to spend time learning to be a good creole writer. But I don’t have time for because I need to master English. That’s what I need now
From the action of my mom, I benefit of a great French accent. But at the same time I feel sometimes disconnected to the reality of my homeland .I don’t feel my-self part of my own culture.  I speak Creole as any other Haitian but I has never discovered my own society. Because I have never spend time reading book that has thing to do with home.  
             

    

2 comments:

  1. Dayenu Simon


    Speak French or Creole



    I spent time before choosing my subject. When I started m challenge was to stay focused on the

    main point. French/ Creole is the thesis I have choose. I demonstrate the domination of the French

    over Creole in my society I come from ( Haiti). I have tried my best to have a simple introduction

    and also to be clear. Now that I have done with it, I cannot stop thinking about the quantity of

    details I have used. is there enough or not. Writing this literacy Narrative push me to work more on

    my idea connection , analysis things in own life and determine their consequence has never been a

    easy field. This was a great practice, For Literacy Narrative, I present the position of my Parent who

    didn't wont me spending time using Creole. Even if it is my first language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you wrote about your challenge of learning two languages. I liked how you incorporated the importance of French language and you determination and love towards your native language, that is, Creole. Your essay also reflect the importance of English language over other languages.

    ReplyDelete