Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Path Set Forth By Another

A Path Set Forth By Another 
 Iam not the first to go to college in my family and I'm certainly not going to be the last. From the adults to the kids graduating high school, there is notoneuneducated soul in the bunch. Ever since immigratingfrom Jamaica twenty years ago, my family has seen education as the primary factor in their successMy grandmother has twelve children. Each of them has at least 2 or more kids oftheir own. Thenumberofgraduations I've attended in my brief stint on this planetsurely makes my head spin. Each of my relatives going off to college has truly been and honor and certainly an inspiration, most importantly my sister.  
Technically she is only myhalf sister, butwhat she has done for meis surely beyond the partial genetics we share. I didn't meet her untilshe was just beginning college. She livedathome, commuting to Mercy College in Dobbs Ferry. I would watch her as she studied for multiple tests, scanning through the dead trees scattered across her bed. The countless books she had to digest class by class, semester by semester. She would eventually have to buy her own bookshelf to hold all the books she would be using. This is something I am realizing that I should probably invest in as well. 
 As she went through college I noticed how her vocabulary developed from whatIcould understand to a language I have yet to learn. Seeing as she pursued not only her bachelor's degree, but also a master's and doctorate as well, the language barrier between us only grew. It seemed clearduring this time in my life that if I wanted to truly know and converse with my sister that I would have toeducate myself. 
I started educating myself to better understand my sisterwhen I was 8 years old and my mother had gotten me an Oxford dictionary as a birthday present. An unfortunate and unwelcomed gift but it was for the best I suppose. The dictionary went weeks without being opened until I finally cracked it open. I was watching TV when a character said a word I had notheard in my days until that moment. Although I can't remember the character nor the word, I reached for the dictionary and there it was: the word I longed to understand in black and white lettering. From that point forward I was hooked. Without hesitation I would reach for the dictionary for any and every reason I could find. I would read a book and keep the dictionary at my side just in case. This made me feel easier about reading books above my grade level and made talking more powerful when I spoke to my sister. It becamea joke as I got older. Whenever one of us decidedto flex our vocabulary muscles, the other would say "OOOO! SAT word of the day?" and we laugh every time.    
My sister often spent most of her time in the living room where we kept the computer. She would bring her blanket and pillow while she comfortably and rather intensely went through her assignments. She would go days without sleeping in her own bed, flippingover the cushions of the couch to make sure she did not leavea dent. She was stressed, on edge, struggling, and yet she still got through it all. Even as I struggled she always had words of encouragement for me, "Youain'tseen anythingyet kiddo". They're not the usual inspiring words butthey did make me realize that I would have to become better as I progress, not hope for everything to become easier. Her words came from experience. She had two jobs and went to college. Often coming home just to sleep before heading off to a fresh day with a tired mind. That did not make her weak but it made her stronger mentally. Looking back at it, I'm here trying to balanceone job and work and she managed to balance two jobs andgraduate on time.   
I've always felt the need to follow my sister's footsteps. Partly because she inspired me, but mostly because I felt the pressure to do so. Being her youngest and only son, I was and toregretstill am treated by my mother as though I still don a Mickey Mouse onesie. For years it seemed as though my mother wanted me to strive to be my sister. The actuality of the matter is that she wanted me to succeed as my sister had. It took me a while to understand it but I finally did. I wasn't meant to follow my sister's footsteps but rather walkparallel to them. I ammeant to makemy own path leading to success. Having my sister around as she built a life for herself made me put things into perspective. My family's emphasis on educationtruly transformed me. It made me retain the words and topics I have learned instead of only browsing them enough to get a good grade. Words are no longer empty to me but full of meaning and intention. And I owe this all to my sister's footsteps that I now walk along.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reminiscing about old times. It's always a pleasure to look back and know that there are people in your life that are in your life strictly to love you and see you better off in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reflection of your narrative needs to be a bit deeper.

      Delete
  2. Love the descriptions you wrote about your sister studying - you really painted a picture of what that was like, and even what it was like for a young kid to see how his older sister worked hard and aspire for that too. Your conclusion is also really nice, it shows how your family in general and sister specifically definitely influenced you even as you realize you will be taking your own path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your story, the dedications to succeed in your family is highly inspirational. I can relate in the sense, my father pushed to succeed financially and pushes my siblings including myself to get all possible degrees. It is pretty sad that we don't realize their struggles and achievements when we are young well at least I haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your narrative very much. I like how you found not only your sister but your family to be the inspiration behind your drive to succeed. Being the oldest of three children, I've learned that it's my job to set an example for my younger siblings and show them the importance of striving

    ReplyDelete